Here is what Tasting Table had to say about this dish:
Cold Hand Cuke: A Creamy Chilled Soup for Summer
Working from their kitchen-studio in Lambertville, N.J., Christopher Hirsheimer and Melissa Hamilton have been quietly innovating food publishing. The media-savvy pair–Hirsheimer was a founder of Saveur magazine and Hamilton worked for Cook’s Illustrated–create and publish Canal House Cooking, a thrice-yearly magazine-book hybrid replete with lush food photos and home-tested recipes. This refreshing chilled soup (from their latest edition) combines rich avocados with crisp cucumbers. It’s an ideal dinner for a hot summer night, as it requires no cooking and can be prepped in just a few minutes.
I made this soup with in 15 minutes with the total cost was around $10. This soup is summer’s answer to a hot creamy soup made in the cold weather.
- 3 ripe, unblemished avocados
- 1 English cucumber, unpeeled, roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbs fresh lemon juice ( I used the juice of one half)
- 1 qt chicken stock (use vegetable stock to make soup vegetarian)
- salt to taste
- sour cream for serving
- hot pepper sauce (Tabasco), for serving